Thursday, 25 October 2007

CNN- Calming News from Natasza

We hadn't heard from Miss Natasza Zurek in a while and we were getting worried-
But she is all good- more than that, she is surfing, yogaing and spa-landing in Peru.
Here is what she wrote (unfortunately photos will have to wait until she can download them back home):

I´m in the north of Peru with my boyfriend Steven right now. It´s very close to the equator so it´s pretty warm here although since it´s by the sea there´s always a breese. The waves have been super fun...just paddling out in a bikini and board shorts. In the afternoons the wind really picks up and all the kite boarders come out. We scored this sweet hotel right at the beach which is also a yoga studio. I tried yoga for the first time and I really liked it. It´s a bit physical but really relaxing and meditative as well. The sessions are in this open air building with stone tile floors and a grass roof right on the beach. So you hear the waves breaking and feel the sea breese while you´re doing the yoga. The hotel also has a healthy vegetarian restaurant right there...and it´s a 5 minute walk to the waves! Couldn´t ask for anything better. This guy Gary Siskar and his wife own it. He used to be my old team manager at Arnette when I used to ride for them. I met him by coincidence while I was out surfing in the waves. He gave us a great deal to stay there. It´s a great contrast between this touristy enclosure and the rest of the world outside. Peru for the most part is a 3rd world country. Some of the shanty homes around have walls made of mud. It never rains here because this is a desert but if it did then I think some of the houses would fall apart. In fact I heard that when it does rain here it pours non-stop for like 2 months. Apparently it hasn´t rained in a couple of years. Also, there´s a lot of warnings about ´el robo´, robberies made on tourists while they´re walking on the beach or taking a night bus. There are a lot of hired security guards around since they want to ecourage tourism and get our dollars.

After I get back home I´ll be starting the snowboarding season. It´s coming up soon! The first trip will probably be to Mammoth to hit mellow kickers for a week or two and get the riding legs back.

Take care!

- Nat

No comments: